The village public house was built in 1637 and was known as The Plough until 1798 when it was renamed The Lord Nelson in honour of the victory at the Battle of the Nile. The pub originally had no bar, and real ales were served from a tap room. The look of the pub in Nelson’s time has been preserved, with wooden settles (including one on which the Admiral sat), stone floors on which he walked have been retained and painstakingly and sensitively restored. There is plenty of Nelson memorabilia on the walls.
Having been purchased by Lord Leicester and extended and restored by the Holkham estate, The Lord Nelson inn is now a traditional, family-friendly village pub, operated by Norfolk’s own Woodforde’s brewery offering a cheerful, and hearty welcome with Woodforde’s ales tapped from the cask & great food.
Cosy, original snug bars complete with wood burning stoves for the homely, traditional atmosphere of a winter hostelry and with a large South facing rear garden, we have something for everyone.